Category: Manufacture

A Custom Soft Sauna

I’ve completed a prototype of a project that’s been on the go for a few months now. Essentially, it started with how many of my projects start; I looked at something that someone else was doing or has done and naively thought to myself, “I could do that…”

The idea of creating a semi-portable near infrared sauna out of canvas and wood is not a new or original idea; at least one company in the states offers up this idea commercially. The soft saunas I saw out there didn’t exactly meet all the requirements I think would be best suited for my lady and I though, so I took to outlining what would. I wanted something that was made out of natural and accessible materials, something that was large enough for my lady and I to use at the same time, remained semi-portable and that didn’t cost upwards of $4,000 CAD. 

The end result was something I could piece together for $700, discounting my time and energy designing and fabricating. And it’s got me thinking how much cheaper it could be if I came up with a simpler design and were sourcing the materials at higher quantities from their origin of manufacture… even with my time and energy.

I’m logging this project as something worth revisiting and toying with again in the near future. I really look forward to making another one.

20170924_131602

Picture 1 of 68

Working with some scrap waxed canvas, I exercised some free form stitching without measurement or any real plan. Before stepping into any sort of design or patternmaking, I took some 1" diameter wood dowels to determine how well I could interface the fabric and the wood.

The Making of the Character Series Shotgun Case

First things first, I began with measuring out the shotgun. In this case, I'm working with a 12 gauge Fox Savage Model B with a 30" barrel.

Picture 1 of 142

 

Mistakes Made and Lessons Learned:

  • Wool liner should have binding tape; no raw edges, at least around zipper opening
  • Zipper rivet missing; afraid of punch tool not being strong enough to punch through canvas and binding
  • Divider rivets should have been initially punched only on one side of the canvas
  • Leather stitching attaching canvas should have been brought closer to outside edge
  • Rivets should have been punched at each end of outside leather stitch
  • Reverse stitching should have been shorter so that they are hidden behind the binding tape
  • Binding tape needs cleaning up at zipper start
  • Binding tape needs more clearance from zipper teeth
  • Finishing stitch on binding tape needs to be closer to the binding tape edge to prevent wavering
  • Leather to be thinner on D-ring anchors, as it sticks out a little too much along spine
  • Four rivets should be used on each D-ring anchors
  • Stitching on leather required more consistent speed control; varied too much on one side

Successes:

  • Never stitched binding tape so uniformly, especially by hand
  • Hatch stitching looks incredibly straight, most likely due to time spent laying masking tape guides
  • Taking the time to grease the thread and needle for the leatherwork truly paid off
  • Time spent, using materials in stock, given market price payment made, allowed for a quality prototype to be made, sold and used for advertising; the sale of a next unit balances my total expenses on the first prototype and the next unit, bringing me up to par

© 2018 Drew Merryman

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑